Thanksgiving meal prep tip: Don't rinse your turkey

8:34 PM

"DO. NOT. RINSE.  Did you hear me?  Don't listen to your grandmother and her grandmother and all the grandmothers who tell you to rinse your poultry.  DO NOT RINSE YOUR POULTRY.  I've got science on my side on this one, Grandma!  Rinsing your poultry - any bird, not just turkey - can actually cause bacteria to aerosolize (how's that for an image?) and spread around your kitchen up to three feet! Three feet!  That's really far!  Within three feet of my sink, I have my spice rack, cooking utensils, coffee pot and my baby's bottles sitting on a drying rack.  What is within three feet of your sink?  Yeah... gross, huh? Plus, it is completely unnecessary.  Rinsing poultry does nothing to get rid of most bacteria - the bacteria that it does eliminate are now splashing around your kitchen.  What does eliminate bacteria? Proper cooking (we'll get to that).  We aren't the only ones who will tell you this.  Our friend, USDA, agrees. And, from a cook's perspective, you really want a dry skin on your poultry so it can get nice and crispy."
via Food Safety News

You Might Also Like

0 comments